qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 04:55:10 +0100

Correct me if I'm wrong but most the IA64 opcodes can be derived from IA32 emulation isn't it why both are "Intel Architecture"?

El 04/10/2009, a las 01:01, Jordan Justen escribió:

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 16:39, Natalia Portillo <address@hidden> wrote:

El 03/10/2009, a las 23:13, Jordan Justen escribió:

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 10:40, ron minnich <address@hidden> wrote:

I use qemu for a lot of coreboot work. I really depend on qemu for
many things I do, not just coreboot related. The qemu target in
coreboot has been very heavily used by us to test out new ideas.

That said, I don't see a compelling need to augment seabios with
coreboot on qemu *in the standard distribution*. If seabios gets the job done, and gets OSes booted, I think that's sufficient. I don't see a need to complicate anyone's life with something that is, after all,
a sideshow for qemu users.

Conversely, I don't see the need to add the huge pile of stuff that
comes with UEFI/OVMF/whatever to qemu either. One might argue that

This is a valid argument right now.  OS X is the only OS today that
targets UEFI, and specifically not legacy BIOS. But, in 5 ~ 10 years
that might not be the case.

Wrong case.

Itanium architecture ONLY uses UEFI.
Having already got UEFI compatibility in QEMU is a step forware implemente
ia64-machine.

Good point.  For OVMF we only support i386/x86-64 right now, but, we
would like to add ia64 support.  I think the lack of ia64 support in
QEMU is one of the big things holding this back.