qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: audio segfault in qemu-kvm-0.11.0

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: audio segfault in qemu-kvm-0.11.0
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 21:34:41 +0400 (MSD)

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

> The real sound hardware should not be relevant since qemu-kvm current does
> not
> support sound and "has it disabled" even if, by default, there is an ES1370
> virtual device defined.

I don't know anything about qemu-kvm and mysterious ways it walks (by
having audio stuff compiled in and yet somehow disabled)

Nor do i quite frankly understand why -soundhw es1370 was specified on
the command line.

[..snip..]

> Can I reproduce the problem with qemu only (no kvm) ... If I could reproduce
> the problem at all, then maybe.  I have no idea what causes the problem.
>
> All occurrences of the problem were on a previous install with
> qemu-kvm-0.11.0-6.fc12.x86_64.
>
> I am currently running F12-Beta with qemu-kvm-0.11.0-7.fc12.x86_64 but still
> have the "old" system "just a re-boot away".
>
> At the time I was running (most likely) two guests ... an F11 and an F12 and
> the guest had been running for some time (the crash did not occur immediately
> or soon after guest start).  I was certainly doing nothing with respect to
> sound since, as far as I was concerned, it did not work.
>
> I had five occurrences of qemu-kvm segfault (according to grep'ing
> /var/log/messages* between 6 October and 13 October and an addition
> occurrence
> on 19 October ... all with qemu-kvm "-6".
>
> As far as I can tell, I only have abrt data from the 19 October occurrence.
>
> If this was a problem which I could cause "on demand", this situation may be
> different ... but I don't.  I have not had this problem occur on my fresh
> install of F12-Beta.
>
> I can bring up q qemu guest and "let it sit" but I am not sure what to do to
> cause the problem.
>
> Comments?

Basically this - i've never seen this problem, nor to the best of my
knowledge anyone else, the only way to understand what's going on is
for you to try to reproduce it capture a backtrace, preferably with
vanilla qemu, and in having optimizations disabled.

--
mailto:address@hidden