qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [sneak preview] major scsi overhaul

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [sneak preview] major scsi overhaul
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 00:09:25 +0100

  Hi,

http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/kraxel.git/shortlog/refs/heads/scsi.v6

What is in there?

  (1) Reworked scsi data structures.  There is a SCSIRequest struct now.
  (2) Restructed emulation in the scsi-disk driver.
  (3) New interface for HBA <=> SCSIDevice interaction:
      * building on the new SCSIRequest struct.
      * the silly read_data/write_data ping-pong game is gone.
      * support for scatter lists and zerocopy I/O is there.
  (4) Added support for the new interface to scsi-disk and scsi-generic.
  (5) Switched esp and usb-storage to the new interface.
      * fixed usb-storage state engine along the way.  And, no, a
        backport to stable isn't going to happen.  With the new
        interface state tracking is simpler and easier to get right.
  (6) A bunch of misc fixes and improvements.

What needs to be done?

  (1) Better patch descriptions.
  (2) Submit patches to the list for review.
  (3) Switch over lsi to the new interface.
  (4) Zap old interface, killing tons of dead code.
  (5) Final cleanups.

Why should you have a look?

  * You want use usb-storage.
    - works rock-solid now for me, it didn't before.
  * You are writing a megaraid-sas HBA.
  * You are writing a virtio-scsi HBA.
  * You are considering to merge this for 0.12

cheers,
  Gerd