qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Unclear committer situation

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Unclear committer situation
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:51:25 -0600

Alexander Graf wrote:
Hi,

Could someone with commit rights please stand up to feel responsible for PPC?

Usually, when I send a patch to qemu-devel, I know who to address to increase chances of it getting committed. For kvm/vnc/block I just CC Anthony, for Audio I just CC malc, etc.

There are some subsystems where nobody feels responsible though, apparently hoping 'someone else' will tske on it. Well, turns out it doesn't work that way.

The general problem is that someone has to step up to maintain these subsystems. For some of them, there just isn't really a lot of interest.

So could we please assign a committer for every subsystem around? Even if the committer doesn't know the architecture inside out, it's still valuable to have soneone feel responsible at all. Committer and maintainer also don't have to be the same person. I'll gladly maintain S390 without having commit rights - as long as I have someone to CC and know the patches will get merged.

git pulls have been working really well for linux-user. I'd like to continue that for new architectures.

Of course, my main unclear subsystems are PPC and S390.

I'd recommend the following committers:

PPC: Blue Swirl
S390: Aurelien

If you have other subsystems you feel uncertain on responsibilities, please add them to the list incl. committer recommendation.

PPC is tough because we lost our previous maintainer. It's generally in pretty bad shape. No one really has stepped up to seriously improve it either.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori