qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:38:18 -0600

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 13:04 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
But to introduce another protocol where a user has to make a choice to use Spice over VNC, I think we need a really good justification for that. It's really about complexity. A user shouldn't have to know about Spice or VNC. They shouldn't have to contemplate the trade-offs of whether their management tool is aware or not. It should Just Work.

That's a good goal.

If we add a new protocol, we could achieve the same thing by allowing
qemu support both VNC and Spice at runtime. Then you just need a client
like virt-viewer that can handle both protocols, and old VNC clients
will continue to be able to connect to newer qemu.

Supporting them at the same time could be potentially challenging. You would need to render Spice locally in qemu in order to expose it via vnc.

Another nasty bit is that two protocols mean two different sets of authentication mechanisms. Does Spice support SASL based authentication? Could it make sense to essentially tunnel Spice through vnc in order to reuse the existing authentication infrastructure?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori