qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice and legacy VGA drivers

From: Dave Airlie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice and legacy VGA drivers
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 07:31:25 +1000

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Izik Eidus wrote:
>>
>> That specific area in spice will be changed very soon due to new
>> requiments that the offscreens will add.
>> Windows direct draw allow modifying offscreen (or even primary)
>> surfaces using a pointer giving to the user, this mean we can`t know
>> what parts of the surface was changed... (In some modes the primary
>> screen can be changed without we know about this)
>>
>> We already thought about few algorithems we might want to add to spice
>> to better address this "changed without notifications surfaces", But it
>> is still not in a state I can confirm in what direction we will go in
>> the end (We still need to test most of the cases to know what fit us
>> best)
>>

> Okay, I'm interested in hearing more about this as it develops.  I think
> good support for legacy modes is an important requirement.
>
> For instance, I very often interact with VMs in text console mode.  In cloud
> deployments, it's pretty common to have minimal appliances that don't have a
> full X session.

We should develop a KMS stack for QXL like VMware have done for SVGA,

This would mean getting a fb console in the guests and you can use fb's
dirty support. Getting out of VGA ASAP is a kernel graphics driver goal going
forward.

Also re:cairo, nearly ever app on my desktop uses it via gtk.
Now how many properitary apps exist that don't is an open
question, but anyone using QT or GTK will be using X render for lots of
drawing right now.

I'm not really sure how VNC works at the non-screen scraping level so I suppose
I should investigate, I've never seen VNC as useful fit for doing 3D rendering,
but I suppose it could be extended.

Dave.