qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [patch] linux-user: problem with mmap_find_vma

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [patch] linux-user: problem with mmap_find_vma
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:14:48 -0800

With host x86_64 target alpha, a trivial recompile started producing "MMU faults". Eventually, I determined that adding "-B 0x100000000" was enough to produce the fault with the original working executable. I expect, but have not verified, that a similar failure can be elicited with any 64-bit host and any target using such a large explicit base.

The cause is that the default address used by mmap_find_vma may not be inside the area defined for use by the guest by GUEST_BASE. Certainly this patch fixes the failure I was seeing.

I cannot see though all the macro ugliness to understand what happens when GUEST_BASE is not in use to know what needs happening there. Please feel free to edit the ??? comment to match reality.

r~