qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Release 0.12.1 of QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Release 0.12.1 of QEMU
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:24:22 -0600

The QEMU team is pleased to announce the availability of the 0.12.1.
release. This is the first release of the 0.12 series. 0.12.0 had a problem with target-arm we felt was important enough but found after 0.12.0 was tagged. This has been fixed for 0.12.1.

This release consists of over 2,000 commits from 99 contributors.

Some major features were added in this release including:

 - target-arm: FP16 and Cortex-A9 cpu support
 - target-i386: change bios from PC-BIOS to SeaBIOS
 - target-i386: change netboot roms from etherboot to gPXE
 - target-i386: remove kqemu support
 - target-s390: introduce new s390 target (KVM-only)
 - live migration: support migration with non shared storage
 - live migration: make save/restore data driven (VMState)
 - monitor: introduce machine-protocol (QMP)
 - qdev: convert many devices, support reading config from file
 - pci: infrastructure to support 64-bit busses
 - net: introduce -netdev to support point-to-point networking
 - net: add support for GSO and checksum offload
 - tons of bug fixes throughout the code base

It can be downloaded from Savannah at:

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/qemu/qemu-0.12.1.tar.gz

A detailed change log since 0.12.0-rc2 is included below.

On behalf of the QEMU team, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed
to make this release happen!

A special note about kqemu support: While we understand that many users appreciated kqemu, it has not seen active development for a few years now. Besides many known bugs, it was causing regressions for non-kqemu users.

Back in the 0.10 release cycle, we set a deprecation/removal schedule unless someone stepped up to fix and maintain kqemu. Since no one was willing to fix and maintain kqemu, we removed it for 0.12. If someone is willing to fix the problems with kqemu and actively maintain it, we would happily reintroduce support for it.

version 0.12.1:
- loader: fix rom loading at address 0 (fixes target-arm) (Aurelien Jarno)
  - loader: fix rom_copy (fixes multiboot) (Kevin Wolf)

version 0.12.0:

  - Update to SeaBIOS 0.5.0
  - e1000: fix device link status in Linux (Anthony Liguori)
  - monitor: fix QMP for balloon command (Luiz Capitulino)
  - QMP: Return an empty dict by default (Luiz Capitulino)
  - QMP: Only handle converted commands (Luiz Capitulino)
- pci: support PCI based option rom loading (Gerd Hoffman/Anthony Liguori)
  - Fix backcompat for hotplug of SCSI controllers (Daniel P. Berrange)
  - fdc: fix migration from 0.11 (Juan Quintela)
  - vmware-vga: fix segv on cursor resize. (Dave Airlie)
  - vmware-vga: various fixes (Dave Airlie/Anthony Liguori)
  - qdev: improve property error reporting. (Gerd Hoffmann)
  - fix vga names in default_list (Gerd Hoffmann)
  - usb-host: check mon before using it. (Gerd Hoffmann)
  - usb-net: use qdev for -usbdevice (Gerd Hoffmann)
  - monitor: Catch printing to non-existent monitor (Luiz Capitulino)
- Avoid permanently disabled QEMU monitor when UNIX migration fails (Daniel P.
 Berrange)
  - Fix loading of ELF multiboot kernels (Kevin Wolf)
  - qemu-io: Fix memory leak (Kevin Wolf)
  - Fix thinko in linuxboot.S (Paolo Bonzini)
  - target-i386: Fix evaluation of DR7 register (Jan Kiszka)
- vnc: hextile: do not generate ForegroundSpecified and SubrectsColoured tiles
 (Anthony Liguori)
  - S390: Bail out without KVM (Alexander Graf)
  - S390: Don't tell guest we're updating config space (Alexander Graf)
  - target-s390: Fail on unknown instructions (Alexander Graf)
  - osdep: Fix runtime failure on older Linux kernels (Andre Przywara)
  - Fix a make -j race (Juergen Lock)
  - target-alpha: Fix generic ctz64. (Richard Henderson)
  - s390: Fix buggy assignment (Stefan Weil)
  - target-mips: fix user-mode emulation startup (Nathan Froyd)
  - target-i386: Update CPUID feature set for TCG (Andre Przywara)
  - s390: fix build on 32 bit host (Michael S. Tsirkin)

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori