qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:15:10 +0100

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:58:32AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 12:52 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >
> >As a reviewer, you can read qemu-commits to see when something has
> >been committed.
> >
> >I have the same problem fwiw.  I don't read qemu-commits because I
> >always look at the contents of origin when I fetch from it to see
> >what others are doing.  Practically speaking, to really review
> >patches, I think you have to follow master to see what's changing.
> >
> >I'm open to creative ideas, but my main concern is that when
> >there's a push in one day of 50 unique patches (which happens),
> >that's a big flood of email to various threads which gets annoying
> >to sift through.
> >
> >I don't it's a huge burder to just read another mailing list.
>
> There are two issues with qemu-commits (neglecting that it's broken
> for the moment):
>
> - it sends email when a patch is pushed, not when it is committed.
> This breaks the "I don't have to follow this up anymore" property.
> - it breaks threading.  you see a patch, you have no idea what its
> status is.  Sure, you can go look for it in git or sift for it in
> qemu-commits, but it's quite a bit of work, and if it isn't there,
> you have to go do it again later.

Then if the idea is to get the status of a patch, if the committers
start sending "patch applied", it would be nice that the submitters
send "patch cancelled" to the list. Often a patch is posted in a new
version, sometimes with a different title, or in a different series.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net