[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Qemu-devel] Re: Advise on updating SeaBIOS in stable

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Advise on updating SeaBIOS in stable
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:58:35 -0600
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv: Gecko/20091209 Fedora/3.0-4.fc12 Lightning/1.0pre Thunderbird/3.0

On 01/12/2010 10:51 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 01:43:47PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I'm ready to cut another qemu stable release and I'm contemplating
whether to update to 0.5.1 in stable.  Generally speaking, we try to
limit stable to bug fixes and changes that aren't user visible.

0.5.1 looks like a point on the master branch as opposed to a
separate branch.  I wonder what the thinking is within SeaBIOS about
what sort of changes will be in the 0.5.x series vs. what would
result in 0.6.0.
Hi Anthony,

I didn't have a particular release numbering scheme in mind when I
tagged 0.5.1.  I'd probably lean towards making a "v0.5.0.x" branch if
we want an update with just critical bug fixes.

However, there have only been a few bug fixes (mostly workarounds for
compiler oddities), though the yield fix (fb214dc7) and ram over 4gig
fix (669c991d) should go in.

I actually need the compiler fix to build on my laptop (F12) so I've included that too. Care to take a look at git://git.qemu.org/seabios.git stable-0.5.0? It survives some light testing and I'll be doing more thorough testing overnight.

If you want to add some more and/or tag a release, I'll resync again before cutting 0.12.2.

If you're looking to pull in 32bit pcibios support, then I don't think
it would be worthwhile to rebase to a stable branch, as the 32bit
pcibios support is easily the biggest user visible change in v0.5.1
(in the sense that Linux will call 32bit pcibios if it's available).

Unless there's a strong demand for it, I'd like to hold off on 32bit pcibios support.


Anthony Liguori

A couple of other changes could be user visible (eg, mptable), but I
think the risk here is pretty small (assuming we haven't introduced a

So, I'm okay with a stable branch (eg, v0.5.0.x), but I'm not sure
what you would like to see in that branch.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]