qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:09:24 +0100

On 26.01.2010, at 07:49, Chris Wright wrote:

> Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

KVM Hardware Inquiry Tool

One of the things I have on my todo list is a tool you can run on your machine
that tells you which virtualization features it supports. Imaginary output of
such a tool:

--

KVM Supported: yes
NPT/EPT: yes

Expected Virtual CPU Speed: 95%

--

That way users can easily determine what to expect when they run KVM on a
machine without need to know about CPUID flags that don't even get exposed in

My main question on this one is how to best implement it.

Should this be part of qemu? We'll need some architecture specific backend
code, so leveraging the structure might be helpful.
Should this be a separate script? That'd mean installing one more application
that distros might name differently :(.
Does it even have chances to get accepted upstream?

Alex