Re: [Qemu-devel] SeaBIOS error with Juniper FreeBSD kernel

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SeaBIOS error with Juniper FreeBSD kernel
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:39:04 -0500

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 04:18:38PM -0700, Brandon Bennett wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Kevin O'Connor <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Should a kernel fail during boot, I'd suspect it doesn't like one of
> >> the apm/pcibios callbacks, or it doesn't like one of the
> >> smbios/mptable/acpi tables.  You could try compiling the SeaBIOS code
> >> (see http://seabios.org/Download ) and increasing the debugging by
> >> modifying src/config.h.  Specifically, you could increase
> >> CONFIG_DEBUG_LEVEL, and set DEBUG_HDL_pcibios32 and DEBUG_HDL_apm to
> >> 1.  Also, you could try disabling some of the features to see if that
> >> prevents the fault (eg, disabling CONFIG_ACPI / CONFIG_SMBIOS /
> >
> I have narrowed it down to SMBIOS.  If I disable CONFIG_SMBIOS the
> image boots up fine.

Gleb, have you seen this thread?

Some of the recent changes to smbios that look like possible culprits

Make SMBIOS table pass MS SVVP test
Use MaxCountCPUs during building of per cpu tables.
Add malloc_high/fseg() and rework bios table creation to use them.

There were other changes, but the comments indicate they were only
ports of changes already in bochs.  I suppose it's also possible the
lack of smbios is turning off some other feature in the guest (eg,
acpi) that's the real culprit.