qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Mar 23

From: Jes Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Mar 23
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:43:48 +0100

On 03/25/10 10:39, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
For ia64 part, maybe we can keep the current qemu-kvm.git for the users. And it
is not a must to push it into Qemu upstream.
Xiantao

Does it still build&  work? Does someone test it at least infrequently?
Or are there users?

There were a few changes recently due to cleanups and/or switches to
upstream code. There will be more in the future. And at some point heavy
work will be needed when there are no more qemu-kvm* files. That could
be a point ia64 breaks forever unless someone jumps in.

BTW, I'm also carrying ia64 bits in kvm-kmod. I never compiled them
(except for the "make headers_install" which throws tons of warnings at
me), I'm just keeping them for now to enforce architecture separation in
case someone once wishes to add another arch to this wrapper.

I think the end result will be that an older version of qemu-kvm will be
around, and if someone decides to pick up on it, they will have to work
from that. At this point I only see some of the Japanese vendors
potentially being interested, but I think they have mostly been looking
at Xen/ia64. Then again, I have no idea what the state is for Xen/ia64
patches for QEMU, in theory a lot of it should be shared.

As long as the bits are sitting in the tree without disturbing other
parts, then I just think we should let them sit there.

Cheers,
Jes