qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Semantic meaning of "stop" command?

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Semantic meaning of "stop" command?
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:59:37 +0200

Jun Koi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I always thought that the "stop" command provided by the monitor
> interface would pause the VM completely, but it doesnt seem so?
>
> I checked this by issuing the "stop" command on my VM, and noted its
> clock. Few minutes later, I resumed the VM (with "cont" command). The
> clock is immediately updated with the new time as if it is not paused,
> while I expected that it is not aware that it was paused. So it seems
> why its interface is frozen, the VM still keeps running in the
> background?
>
> So what is the real meaning of this "stop" command??
> And if I want to completely pause the VM (not only its interface),
> what should I do?

"stop" stops the vm.

For startes cloks are weird.  Once told that, see the new "host" clock (from
the man page).  vm clock should do what you wanted.  "host" just uses
the clock from the host.  It has some advantages (see 2nd paragraph of
help).

Later, Juan.

       -rtc [base=utc|localtime|date][,clock=host|vm][,driftfix=none|slew]
           Specify base as "utc" or "localtime" to let the RTC start at the
           current UTC or local time, respectively. "localtime" is required
           for correct date in MS-DOS or Windows. To start at a specific point
           in time, provide date in the format "2006-06-17T16:01:21" or
           "2006-06-17". The default base is UTC.

           By default the RTC is driven by the host system time. This allows
           to use the RTC as accurate reference clock inside the guest,
           specifically if the host time is smoothly following an accurate
           external reference clock, e.g. via NTP.  If you want to isolate the
           guest time from the host, even prevent it from progressing during
           suspension, you can set clock to "vm" instead.