Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [libvirt] Libvirt debug API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [libvirt] Libvirt debug API
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:53:13 +0300

On 04/26/2010 04:46 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
(3) The system management application can certainly create whatever context it wants to launch a vm from. It's comes down to who's responsible for creating the context the guest runs under. I think doing that at the libvirt level takes away a ton of flexibility from the management application.

If you want to push the flexibility slider all the way to the right you get bare qemu. It exposes 100% of qemu capabilities. And it's not so bad these days. But it's not something that can be remoted.

As I mentioned earlier, remoting is not a very important use-case to me.

Does RHEV-M actually use the remote libvirt interface? I assume it'll talk to vdsm via some protocol and vdsm will use the local libvirt API.

I suspect most uses of libvirt are actually local uses.

I expect the same, though I'm sure a design goal was to make use of libvirt be reasonable through the remote API. If we aren't able to fulfil it, much of the value of libvirt goes away.