qemu-devel

Re: [libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Libvirt debug API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Libvirt debug API
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:34:22 +0300

On 04/26/2010 05:25 PM, Chris Lalancette wrote:
Right, and you are probably one of the users this work targets.  But in
general, for those not very familiar with virtualization/qemu, we want
to steer them far clear of this API.  That goes doubly true for application
developers; we want them to be able to use a stable, long-term API and
not have to worry about the nitty-gritty details of the monitor.  It's that
latter group that we want to make sure doesn't use this API.

With qmp, we have a stable long term API, and the nitty-gritty details are easily hidden behind a stock json parser (unfortunately some rpc details remain). The command line is baroque, but the libvirt xml isn't so pretty either.

The problem is a user that starts with libvirt and outgrows its featureset. Do we want them to fall back to qmp?