qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC encoding ZLibHex?

From: Corentin Chary
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC encoding ZLibHex?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:16:13 +0200

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Peter Lieven <address@hidden> wrote:
> is there any standard tests that can be run for comparing
> different encodings? i am not familiar whit that unfortunately.
>
> br,
> peter

I'm not aware of standard tests (and if anyone know some, please let me know).
Here is how I did my tests for zlib, hextile and tight [1].

I installed a kubuntu with qemu and hacked SDL_viewer example from
libvncserver to be able to select an encoding (I can give you the line
to modify if you want).
Then launched (several times) qemu with ./qemu  -m 512 -hda
kubuntu.img -vnc :0 & sleep 0.5; ./SDL_viewer 127.0.0.1

On another term I launch tcpdump -i lo0 -nvv port 5900 | python
tcpstat.py > dump.csv (but you can use wireshark, etc ...)

[1]
http://xf.iksaif.net/blog/index.php?post/2010/05/18/QEMU%3A-some-charts-on-tight-zlib-and-hextile

--
Corentin Chary