qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] Moving the kvm ioapic, pic, and pit back to users

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] Moving the kvm ioapic, pic, and pit back to userspace
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:16:55 +0300

On 06/07/2010 09:54 PM, David S. Ahern wrote:

So it's important to know how often your RHEL3/4 guest queries the PIT
(not just receives interrupts, actually reads the counter) under a
realistic load.  If you have such a number (in reads/sec) that would be
a good input to this discussion.

Aps that invoke gettimeofday a lot.

Ask a stupid question, get an "it depends on the workload" answer.

As I recall RHEL3 uses the TSC
between timer interrupts, but RHEL4 samples counters on each
gettimeofday call:

Because of that performance of applications that timestamp log entries
(like a certain product I work on) takes a hit on KVM unless the TSC is
the clock source.

So it looks like dropping the PIT out of the kernel, let alone the PIC/IOAPIC, is out of the question.

signature is too narrow to contain.