qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VLIW?

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VLIW?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:24:44 +0100

Gibbons, Scott wrote:
> My architecture is an Interleaved Multithreading VLIW architecture.  One
> bundle (packet) executes per processor cycle, rotating between threads (i.e.,
> thread 0 executes at time 0, thread 1 executes at time 1, then thread 0
> executes at time 2, etc.).  Each thread has its own context (including a
> program counter).  I'm not sure what kind of performance I would get in
> translating a single bundle at a time (or maybe I'm misunderstanding).
>
> I think I'll get basic single-thread operation working first, then attempt
> multithreading when I have a spare month or so.

I know of another CPU architecture that has fine-grained hardware
threads and has working qemu emulation at a useful performance for
debugging kernels, but it's not public as far as I know, and I don't
know if it's ok to name it.  I don't think it's VLIW, only that it has
lots of hardware threads and a working qemu model.

-- Jamie