qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) dev

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about qemu firmware configuration (fw_cfg) device
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:19:07 +0100

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:40:18AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
> Richard, what does kvm_stat tell you while loading the initrd? Are
> there a lot of PIO requests or are we simply looping inside qemu
> code?

The two attached files were made by running kvm_stat -l > /tmp/...
during a single run starting libguestfs.  This use of kvm_stat is as
described in Chris's blog entry here:
http://clalance.blogspot.com/2009/01/kvm-performance-tools.html

The first attachment ('no-patch') is without the proposed patch.

The second attachment ('with-patch') is with the proposed patch.

It seems some numbers such as #vmexits are lower with the proposed
patch, although not by a very much.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v