qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Latest git version failed to run 403.gcc benchmark in

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Latest git version failed to run 403.gcc benchmark in SPEC CPU2006
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:20:28 +0200

2010/7/29 amateur <address@hidden>:
> Hi, All
>
> I'm trying to run benchmarks from SPEC CPU2006 compiled for SPARC on
> top of qemu-sparc32plus. However, several benchmarks failed to get the
> correct result.

Can you try to compile them for sparc32 (no plus)? Are the tests
multi-threaded? If yes, can you try to run them under
qemu-system-sparc? There are some known problems in user mode
emulation.

> One of the failed benchmarks, 403.gcc, runs for a while and then print
> an error message and exit.

Can you be more specific here? What message? From the description of
403.gcc, it looks like it does some floating point operations. Is the
error FPU specific?

What other tests are failing? Are there any pure integer tests among them?

> However, the same compiled gcc binary for
> SPARC runs quite well in Simics(a commercial emulator) and give the
> correct result.

What CPU does it emulate in your test?

> So I think there may be a bug in Qemu.
>
> Has anyone meet the same kind of problem before?

Well, there are still some bugs in qemu. I suspect there may be one
bug in the integer math which prevents NeXTStep from booting, but
haven't had a chance to track it down yet.

> I can do some debug, but I have no clue on how to do it. Could anyone
> please give me some hint on this? I have read the source code, but
> find it really hard to track down guest program miss-behavior problem.
>
> BTW, when I use sparc-linux-gdb with qemu-sparc32plus, it connect, but
> give the wrong value when print local variables. So, I'm really lost.
> Can anyone confirm on this, or I'm doing it the wrong way?

Haven't tried it with qemu-sparc32plus, but it seems to work fine with
qemu-system-sparc.

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko