qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: vhost-net requested but could not be initialized

From: John Bellessa
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: vhost-net requested but could not be initialized
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:00:02 -0500

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is a duplicate.  I accidentally hit send while I was typing
it up.  Let me start over:

I'm trying to get qemu running with vhost enabled but I seem to be
running into an error which I can't figure out. Here's what I've done
so far

1) I've downloaded and installed the kernel and userspace tools found
at http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/VhostNet
2) I created a qcow2 image with qemu-img and install Ubuntu 10.04 to it.

I'm able to just start an instance of the image with the default
network settings: qemu-system-x86_64 lucid.qcow2 -m 1G

But when I try to run it with additional options to enable vhost, I
get this error: vhost-net requested but could not be initialized

This is the command I am running:
qemu-system-x86_64 lucid.qcow2 -m 1G \
-net nic,model=virtio,netdev=foo \
-netdev
tap,id=foo,ifname=msttap0,script=../../scripts/qemu-ifup.sh,downscript=no,vhost=on

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John