qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulate character device

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulate character device
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:16:18 +0100

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Thisara Rupasinghe
<address@hidden> wrote:
> There I need to use machines
> character device "dev/vedio0" and stream that to the qemu environment.
> Therefore on the emulator that web cam stream will be available as the
> emulators character device "dev/video0". So how can I able to do that? I'm
> quite new to Qemu and please can anyone help me to do this?

QEMU hardware emulation usually doesn't work at the Linux character
device passthrough.  In the source tree, look at hw/ which contains
the emulated guest devices.  These are emulated hardware devices that
sit on busses like PCI, not Linux character device passthrough.  For
example, a real RTL8139 PCI network card is emulated.

There is some support for USB device passthrough.  If you have a USB
webcam (even "internal" webcams are often USB) and Android supports
USB webcams, then that might work.

It really depends on what webcam devices the Android guest knows how
to drive.  QEMU either needs to pass through one of those devices or
it needs hardware emulation so the guest thinks it is talking to a
supported device.

Stefan