qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm faster that qemu?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-kvm faster that qemu?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:48:50 -0500

On 08/25/2010 02:37 PM, walt wrote:
Hi qemu team,

I just discovered that qemu now offers kvm support, so I decided to
compare it to qemu-kvm.

I'm running the latest git versions of both programs on an AMD64
host running the latest kernel from Linus.git.

The guest is Windows 7 on a qcow2 disk image and one kvm64 cpu.

Using the same qcow2 image for both qemu and qemu-kvm, I find that
qemu-kvm boots to the Win7 login prompt in 25 seconds, but qemu
with kvm enabled takes about 45 seconds.

make sure you build qemu with --enable-io-thread. Also, what's your full command line?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Is this an expected outcome, or must I be doing something wrong
with qemu?

BTW, I tried reverting the qcow2 patch being discussed in another
thread but it made no difference.  Perhaps there's not much writing
to disk during bootup?

Thanks!