qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:48:51 +0200

Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> My position is that we aren't any closer to having compatible APIs
> then we were with the human monitor.  I think we need to focus on
> compatibility and that that has to be solved as the QEMU interface
> level.  I contend that it's not solvable at the QMP level.

We've argued from day 0 every step along the way.  And here we are, one
year later, still arguing about the very basics.

There's a fundamental disagreement.  I want to keep QMP the way it was
designed: supporting compatible evolution.  You want to remake it from
the ground up as RPC to internal C interfaces.

It seems exceedingly unlikely to me that we can agree on the wisdom of
such a remake.  We can repeat and elaborate on our arguments for a
while, but let's face it: we want different things.

I'm afraid I can't build you the thing you want.  The best I can offer
is to step out of the way and let you build it.