qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Device hotplug issues

From: pradeepkumar
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Device hotplug issues
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:07:02 +0530

Hi

I tried to add a device to guest from upstream qemu monitor using
"device_add".
when i try to add VGA, vmware-svga..etc, from qemu monitor my qemu
monitor is aborted,  Since these devices already registered.
I dont see a reason to kill monitor. I think abort() is a bit rough.
we need a better way to handle it.  If a user try to add a already
registered device, qemu should convey this to user saying that, this
device already registered and an error message should be fine than
aborting qemu.

        QLIST_FOREACH(block, &ram_list.blocks, next) {
        if (!strcmp(block->idstr, new_block->idstr)) {
            fprintf(stderr, "RAMBlock \"%s\" already registered,
        abort!\n",
                    new_block->idstr);
            abort();
        }