qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qed: Add QEMU Enhanced Disk format

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qed: Add QEMU Enhanced Disk format
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 07:49:16 -0500

On 09/09/2010 01:45 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
Loading very large L2 tables on demand will result in very long latencies. Increasing cluster size will result in very long first write latencies. Adding an extra level results in an extra random write every 4TB.

It would be trivially easy to add another level of tables as a feature bit so let's delay the decision.

qed is very careful about ensuring that we don't need to do syncs and we don't get corruption because of data loss. I don't necessarily buy your checksumming argument.

The requirement for checksumming comes from a different place. For decades we've enjoyed very low undetected bit error rates. However the actual amount of data is increasing to the point that it makes an undetectable bit error likely, just by throwing a huge amount of bits at storage. Write ordering doesn't address this issue.

I don't think we should optimize an image format for cheap disks and an old file system.

We should optimize for the future. That means a btrfs file system and/or enterprise storage.

The point of an image format is not to recreate btrfs in software. It's to provide a mechanism to allow users to move images around reasonable but once an image is present on a reasonable filesystem, we should more or less get the heck out of the way.

By creating two code paths within qcow2.

You're creating two code paths for users.

No, I'm creating a single path: QED.

There are already two code paths: raw and qcow2. qcow2 has had such a bad history that for a lot of users, it's not even a choice.

Today, users have to choose between performance and reliability or features. QED offers an opportunity to be able to tell users to just always use QED as an image format and forget about raw/qcow2/everything else.

You can say, let's just make qcow2 better, but we've been trying that for years and we have an existence proof that we can do it in a straight forward fashion with QED.A new format doesn't introduce much additional complexity. We provide image conversion tool and we can almost certainly provide an in-place conversion tool that makes the process very fast.

It requires users to make a decision. By the time qed is ready for mass deployment, 1-2 years will have passed. How many qcow2 images will be in the wild then? How much scheduled downtime will be needed?

Zero if we're smart. You can do QED stream + live migration to do a live conversion from raw to QED.

  How much user confusion will be caused?

User confusion is reduced if we can make strong, clear statements: all users should use QED even if they care about performance. Today, there's mass confusion because of the poor state of qcow2.

Virtualization is about compatibility. In-guest compatibility first, but keeping the external environment stable is also important. We really need to exhaust the possibilities with qcow2 before giving up on it.

IMHO, we're long past exhausting the possibilities with qcow2. We still haven't decided what we're going to do for 0.13.0. Are we going to ship qcow2 with awful performance (a 15 minute operation taking hours) or with compromised data integrity?

It's been this way for every release since qcow2 existed. Let's not let sunk cost cloud our judgement here.

qcow2 is not a properly designed image format. It was a weekend hacking session from Fabrice that he dropped in the code base and never really finished doing what he originally intended. The improvements that have been made to it are almost at the heroic level but we're only hurting our users by not moving on to something better.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori