qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qed: Add QEMU Enhanced Disk format

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qed: Add QEMU Enhanced Disk format
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:16:54 -0500

On 09/10/2010 06:25 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
 On 09/10/2010 02:14 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:

qcow2 is not a properly designed image format. It was a weekend hacking session from Fabrice that he dropped in the code base and never really finished doing what he originally intended. The improvements that have been made to it are almost at the heroic level but we're only hurting our users by not moving on to something better.

I don't like qcow2 either. But from a performance perspective, it can be made equivalent to qed with some effort. It is worthwhile to expend that effort rather than push the burden to users.

btw, despite being not properly designed, qcow2 is able to support TRIM. qed isn't able to, except by leaking clusters on shutdown. TRIM support is required unless you're okay with the image growing until it is no longer sparse (the lack of TRIM support in guests make sparse image formats somewhat of a joke, but nobody seems to notice).

It's actually pretty easy in QED and it should perform very well.

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/QED/Trim

Regards,

Anthony Liguori