qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 performance plan

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 performance plan
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:23:30 +0200

 On 09/14/2010 07:08 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Yes, I hit this too. So without this patch, it does serialize all allocating writes?

Yes, but my patch is not enough as it turns out.

When dealing with O_DIRECT, we have to handle RMW on our own which means we need to serialize access to the same sector.

The way we're planning on addressing this in the short term is to break the single allocator queue into a per-L2 table queue. So writes to the same L2 would be serialized but writes to different L2s would not be serialized.

So at least I read the code correctly.

The next step (also addressed in the qcow2 performance plan) is to batch writes to L2. You'd actually expect to have many concurrent allocating writes to one L2. The first is sent to disk, but the following ones just mark the L2 dirty. When the write returns, it sees it's still dirty and goes back to disk again.