qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] snapshots

From: Mulyadi Santosa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] snapshots
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:44:40 +0700

Hi...

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:56, chandra shekar <address@hidden> wrote:
> i have installed the patch
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg01662.html and do
> i need to compile qemu
> again and how to use this patch that is what options and command i may use
> in the qemu monitor to use this patch,thanks

Haven't tried it by myself, but I am quite sure you need to recompile
the whole binaries (qemu, qemu-img and so on). Just to be safe...

And as how to use it:
1. do snapshot e.g using "savevm" command in qemu monitor

2. I think it's better to shutdown the guest first to prevent in
flight disk I/O during snapshot copy, then execute:
qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 -s snapshot_name src_img bck_img
where:
-s is the snapshot name of the result image. This will contain ONLY
your snapshots...

src_img_bck_img: your current disk image filename which contains your snapshot.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant