qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Which qemu ports actually work?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 01:51:25 -0700

On 27.10.2010, at 01:39, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

>> "install64", which comes a bit longer.  It fails in a new way: it
>> ignores keyboard input, This happens after the kernel has booted, and
>> the installer has started.
>
>  Yes, ignoring keyboard input sounds right. The issue here is that
>  we're basically emulating a PPC32 machine, but plug in a PPC64
>  CPU. This works mostly, but for ADB it breaks, as the guest kernel
>  doesn't have support for our ADB controller. Unfortunately, keyboard
>  and mouse are attached using ADB.
>
>  One way to get around this is to use -usb -usbdevice keyboard.
>
> That makes no difference.  I suppose it is still using the adb keyboard.
>
>  Another way is to use the serial port instead of graphical console.
>
> I cannot get this to work either.
>
> With -nographic I get the same lock as initially, after
>
>  Device tree strings 0x0000000002450000 -> 0x00000000024504d9
>  Device tree struct  0x0000000002451000 -> 0x0000000002453000
>  Calling quiesce ...
>  returning from prom_init
>
> it hangs.

It doesn't hang. It tries to display stuff on the graphical screen which you
disabled. You need to tell the kernel to use the serial console.

>  Please also keep in mind that PPC emulation is _very_ slow.
>
> Why is it slow?

Because we're flushing the TLB on almost every MMU opcode.

>  If you need performance for this, please just grab a PPC machine and
>  use KVM on it. It will be a lot faster.
>
> Physical machines take space and need power.  Qemu is a lot leaner.  :-)

*shrug* depends on what you want to do. If you want to actually do something
useful, I'd recommend KVM.

Alex