qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outs

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:47:35 +0100

  Hi,

Not me at the moment, but unless you tunnel it inside another
protocol, you'd really want to look at the existing USB-over-IP
protocols instead of reinventing the wheel:
http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ (some support in Linux already IIRC)
(and there are others which I don't recall)

Doesn't look very useful on a quick glance.

First: Yes, we wanna embed this into other protocol(s).

Second, seems usbip is implemented using special drivers in kernel space for both sides. We will not need special drivers on the qemu side (we just hook up the devices to the emulated hci). On the client side using libusb looks alot more sensible than requiring kernel modules.

cheers,
  Gerd