qemu-devel

Re: [Spice-devel] [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, i

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Spice-devel] [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:54:07 +0100

On 11/29/10 18:49, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 11/29/2010 11:37 AM, Attila Sukosd wrote:
Hi,

I guess it should be abstract enough to support multiple back-ends, be
it a kernel driver or through libusb?

Is this something that should just live in libusb?

If what libusb presented QEMU was actually implemented as USB-over-IP,
QEMU wouldn't know the difference at all.  I think it would also be very
useful to be able for libusb-based applications to work with remote devices.

What is unclear to me is what role QEMU would play in setting up remove
USB-over-IP devices.  Pushing it down to the libusb layer completely
takes QEMU out the picture which creates a clean separation layer.

Well, I think the management is actually the most tricky thing here. Unfortunaly this isn't covered very well in the usb/ip papers. Also there seems to be no protocol specification linked from the website.

Being compatible at protocol level makes sense for direct connections (if possible). For the usb-over-vnc and vnc-over-spice cases this probably isn't going to work though.

cheers,
  Gerd