qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch 0/14] builtin iscsi support

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch 0/14] builtin iscsi support
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 15:22:02 -0600

On 12/03/2010 01:57 PM, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 12/03/2010 05:09 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Note that ./block/iscsi/* is aimed at being re-used outisde of qemu/kvm
in other applications why qemu/kvm specific calkls are not used there.

So should the library be packaged outside of QEMU and then we'll just link
against it?
Eventually I guess. But that would take a long time before it is ready
for standalone
distrution.

I don't think stand alone distribution is a big burden.

I see this as similar to the situation with LIBTALLOC and LIBTDB that
originated from samba.
For many years these libraries were kept as local copies inside the
source trees of many projects,
including samba3, samba4, ctdb, openchange, etc where the tdb/talloc maintainers
merged patches and fixes across the different comsumer projects manually.

Yeah, and I think this creates a distro nightmare :-)

Figuring out which project has which version with which modifications and whether a security patch is applicable is very painful.

From a strictly QEMU perspective, I'm not very keen on having code in the repository that doesn't use common infrastructure and doesn't follow our coding style.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

While these libraries are now at a stage where they are mature enough
to stand on their own,
they now start to appear as separate standalone packages for distros.
So in time, once all distros ship them as standalone
the local copies held in some of the projects may be removed and
replaced with linking with the
standalone library instead.

I see that as one possible path how a library is started to be used,
how it evolves and once proven and mature enough
it becomes a standalone package.

Do you see a problem with that path and/or would you want that path
not to be used in qemu/kvm ?
While the library is complete enough for the use and the features that
qemu/kvm needs, I think there are a lot
of work in other areas that kvm/qemu does not need/use before it can
become standalone.

regards
ronnie sahlberg