qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Usefulness of the bug tracker

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Usefulness of the bug tracker
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:06:20 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to share some concerns about the bug tracker, as I am not
really sure it is really useful.

People are reporting bugs there (that's the purpose of a bug tracker!),
often with a patch or the beginning of a patch. In a lot of cases, the
bug reporters don't care about adding a Signed-off-by nor posting the
patch to the mailing list (which seems to be something that some of us
require), they think they have done their job reporting the bug. We
therefore arrive to a kind of deadlock situation where we know there is
a bug, but we are waiting eternally to get a patch posted the proper
way.

My other concern is that while the bug reports appear on the mailing
list, the patches only appear as a link to a web page.

In such situations I am not sure the bug tracker is really useful,
especially as it seems we are mostly ignoring bugs that are not
processed shortly after they have been reported.

Any opinion on that, and on how to fix that?

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net