qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux as VirtualBox quest OS with QEMU running Solaris

From: Mateusz Loskot
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux as VirtualBox quest OS with QEMU running Solaris
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:28:04 +0000

On 12/01/11 12:32, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
On 12/01/11 11:57, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Mateusz Loskot<address@hidden>
wrote:
On 10/01/11 21:04, Artyom Tarasenko wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Mateusz Loskot<address@hidden>
wrote:

I suggest using QEMU git master. You could try the binaries
from my website: http://www.weilnetz.de/qemu/

Stefan,

Thank you very much!
So far, I have tried to use versions of QEMU from Qemu Manager 0.7
as well as QEMU 0.13 from
http://homepage3.nifty.com/takeda-toshiya/
but without any luck. I suppose it's because these versions do not
have most recent OpenBIOS usable with SPARC.

If you need Solaris, OpenBIOS is currently not your choice.

I understand.

Have to use an OBP blob.

Where can I find instructions on how to use it?

Actually, I don't need Solaris but SPARC.
So, even Linux for SPARC would do for me.

I tried Debian 4.0 (etch) and Debian 5.0 (lenny) but with no luck.
I think I confused the 32 vs 64 bit and SPARC flavors.

32 bit Debian 4.0 should work out of the box, also with OpenBIOS.

OK, then I will stick to the Linux distribution for 32-bit SPARC
and see if it works for me.

If anyone is curious, I did a quick test on my over-engineered
configuration with Windows Vista running VirtualBox with Ubuntu 64-bit
as guest system running QEMU which is supposed to run Debian Etch 32-bit SPARC.

I run:

$ qemu-img create -f qcow hda.img 20G
$ qemu-system-sparc -m 256 -hda hda.img -cdrom /home/mloskot/software/debian/debian-40r8-sparc-netinst.iso -boot d -localtime

and QEMU window appears but it remains black all the time.
The VirtualBox CPU is running 100%.
I can issue CTRL+ALT+{1|2|3} to switch QEMU consoles, but nothing related to Debian booting appears.

Here is screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/5348626557/

I'm wondering if this is related to the VirtualBox+Linux host proxy.

Best regards,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org