qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] checkpatch.pl false positives with HELPER macro

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] checkpatch.pl false positives with HELPER macro
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 18:05:41 +0000

If you run checkpatch on the patch at
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/79735/

then it has a number of false-positive errors like this:

ERROR: need consistent spacing around '*' (ctx:WxV)
#74: FILE: target-arm/neon_helper.c:201:
+uint32_t HELPER(neon_qadd_u32)(CPUState *env, uint32_t a, uint32_t b)
                                         ^
which I assume are because it's got confused by the HELPER() macro.
Maybe HELPER() is sufficiently commonly used to be worth teaching it
about as a special case?

Also, checkpatch says:

sataddsub.patch has style problems, please review.  If any of these errors
are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

but there isn't anything about CHECKPATCH in our MAINTAINERS file...

-- PMM