qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for BMIPS4380 CPU?

From: xeros
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for BMIPS4380 CPU?
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:20:54 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:05:36AM +0100, xeros wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I'd like to ask about support for newer CPUs in QEMU, like this one:
system type             : BCM3556C0 DTV platform
processor               : 0
cpu model               : Broadcom BMIPS4380 V4.4  FPU V0.1
BogoMIPS                : 403.45
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : no
ASEs implemented        : mips16
shadow register sets    : 1
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

processor               : 1
cpu model               : Broadcom BMIPS4380 V4.4  FPU V0.1
BogoMIPS                : 403.45
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : no
ASEs implemented        : mips16
shadow register sets    : 1
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

I've tried all the available -cpu and -M options combinations (in
QEMU from 0.11 to 0.13) but still no luck to even start booting the
Linux kernel compiled for this CPU.
When I boot the other Linux system image prepared for 'malta'
machine and try to run any even static compiled binaries from
machine which uses the not yet supported CPU I get 'Illegal
instruction' message.

'file' command output on such binaries is:
busybox: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, stripped

While the ones compiled for system in 'malta' QEMU virtual machine is:
busybox-orig-qemu: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-I version 1
(SYSV), statically linked, stripped

You need to emulate a platform and a CPU matching your kernel. Currently
QEMU doesn't support this Broadcom CPU, nor this platform.

Aurelien

Are there any plans for extending support for such CPUs or something simmilar which could run the binaries compiled for such CPU?

--
xeros