qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 15

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 15
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 08:41:27 -0600

On 02/16/2011 08:39 AM, Amit Shah wrote:
On (Tue) 15 Feb 2011 [17:13:13], Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 02/15/2011 10:26 AM, Chris Wright wrote:
revisit new ->   old migration
- Amit offers virtio-serial patches and some legwork
So, to me, migration correctness trumps compatibility.  I don't
think compatibility is useful if it means that a guest may fail
during migration.  We have subsections as a way to support the cases
where it's safe to migrate to an old version only if a feature is
not being used or a corner case is not currently happening.  This is
the best way to approach the problem.

If a subsection won't work, that means you want to migrate when
you're completely sure that migrating will break a guest.  That
doesn't seem reasonable at all to me.

I think in the last discussion on Amit's patches, I had suggested
that subsections could be used to allow migration when there wasn't
any queued data.  I think this is the best we can do while
preserving correctness.
The only problem is that virtio hasn't been converted over to vmstate,
which is necessary for subsections.

Then it needs to be converted.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori