qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch 2/3] Add support for live block copy

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch 2/3] Add support for live block copy
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:22:01 +0200

On 02/24/2011 07:45 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Yeah, it feels like we're introducing QEMU level RAID.

We already did, with sheepdog (well the RAID code is really outside qemu itself).

At what point are we going to add RAID5 support and not just RAID1. And it certainly begs the question of whether this use-case can be satisfied by just using Linux's RAID stack leaving one drive degraded and enabling the other drive when the time comes to fail over.

The magic word is btrfs, we already have atomic live copy outside qemu ('cp --reflink'). If you also want an atomic switch you have to move it inside qemu so you can switch to the new file.

Using one of the Linux RAID-1 implementations (md, dm, or drbd) is also possible but these are really designed for block devices, not files.