qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl

From: Alon Levy
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 12:30:59 +0200

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:35:58PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 01:29:01PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> > >     at
> > > /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/qemu-kvm-0.14.0/work/qemu-kvm-0.14.0/qemu-kvm.c:1466
> > > #12 0x00007ffff77bb944 in start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
> > > #13 0x00007ffff5e491dd in clone () from /lib/libc.so.6
> > > (gdb)
> >
> > That's a spice bug. In fact, there are a lot of
> > qemu_mutex_lock/unlock_iothread in that subsystem. I bet at least a few
> > of them can cause even more subtle problems.
> >
> > Two general issues with dropping the global mutex like this:
> >  - The caller of mutex_unlock is responsible for maintaining
> >    cpu_single_env across the unlocked phase (that's related to the
> >    abort above).
> >  - Dropping the lock in the middle of a callback is risky. That may
> >    enable re-entrances of code sections that weren't designed for this
> >    (I'm skeptic about the side effects of
> >    qemu_spice_vm_change_state_handler - why dropping the lock here?).
> >
> > Spice requires a careful review regarding such issues. Or it should
> > pioneer with introducing its own lock so that we can handle at least
> > related I/O activities over the VCPUs without holding the global mutex
> > (but I bet it's not the simplest candidate for such a new scheme).
> >
> > Jan
> >

> Agree with the concern regarding spice.

What are the pros and cons of (re)introducing a spice specific lock?
 + simplicity. Only spice touches the spice lock.
 - ? what were the original reasons for Gerd dropping the spice lock?

I have no problem reintroducing this lock, I'm just concerned that it's
wasted effort because after I send that patch someone will jump and remind
me why it was removed in the first place.