qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: emulation of system flash

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: emulation of system flash
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:37:13 +0100

Hi,

as the lead developer of the open source flashrom utility
<http://www.flashrom.org/> I have to say that it would be nice to have
Qemu emulate a flash chip. Right now flashrom is using its own flash
chip emulator for testing, and being able to use flashrom in Qemu would
be a nice addition.

Auf 10.03.2011 05:51, Jordan Justen schrieb:
> I have documented a simple flash-like device which I think could be
> useful for qemu/kvm in some cases.  (Particularly for allowing
> persistent UEFI non-volatile variables.)
>
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/System_Flash
>
> Let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns.

Is there any reason why you chose to invent an interface for the flash
chip which is more complicated than the interface used by common flash
chips out there?
Maybe some EFI requirement?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel