qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] git commit c832e3de chokes gcc-4.5.2 (out of memory err

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] git commit c832e3de chokes gcc-4.5.2 (out of memory error)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:44:00 +0100

On 18 March 2011 23:31, walt <address@hidden> wrote:
> The following commit has a strange side-effect on gcc-4.5.2:
> The new code in 'target-i386/translate.c' compiles just fine with gcc-4.4.4,
> using less than 1GB of RAM, but gcc-4.5.2 uses the whole GB and then fills
> up 2GB of swap space in addition while the machine grinds slowly to a halt.

I'm wondering whether this is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gcc-linaro/+bug/714921
again (an upstream gcc bug, fix in-progress).

> I'm hoping someone here might know how to find the source of the problem
> so I can add some helpful details to my bug report.

1. If you compile with -fno-var-tracking does it still use lots
of memory?

2. (for the ludicrously enthusiastic only) build a gcc with the patches
listed in that bug report and see if the problem goes away...

-- PMM