qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu contribution but out the GSoC

From: Corentin Chary
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu contribution but out the GSoC
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:18:35 +0000

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Devang,
>
> On 21.03.2011, at 09:17, Devang S wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> This year i am not eligible to participate in gsoc. But really want to
> contribute to qemu project.
>
> Do i have any chance?
> Do you mentor projects outside gsoc?
> Can I somehow contribute to qemu project, out of the gsoc?
> Can I get mentor outside of the gsoc, like other organizations provide?
>
> This mostly depends on two factors:
> 1) Would you have been accepted as student for gsoc?
> There's a certain skill level required to participate. If for example I'd
> have to spend 3 weeks full-time explaining things before you even could get
> started with real work, unfortunately the trade-off is too bad.
> 2) Is there anyone willing to mentor the project you're trying to do?
> Qemu is a very broad project. If you happen to choose a part of it that
> nobody understands, you might end up not getting anyone willing to mentor
> you :).
>
> Also keep in mind that Qemu is an open source project, so we all mentor each
> other all the time. That's what this whole patch review thing is about :).
>
> Alex

Hi,
Also, I'd suggest you to start here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/StartHere .
You can also pick a GSOC 2010/2011 project, and start working on it
outside of GSOC context if you want.
And keep in mind that if you want to write code send patchs for QEMU,
nobody can stop you :).

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net