qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU API for modelling of user's hardware

From: wzab
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU API for modelling of user's hardware
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:01:09 +0200

Hi,
I wanted to prepare QEMU models of new hardware for my students, to let them to
write and debug device drivers before the real hardware is available (or even
to optimize the design of this hardware before it is really made).
I was able to establish the basic communication with memory mapped registers of
my device, but when it comes to more advanced topics like DMA and interrupts,
things start to be difficult.
Is there any reference or manual for people trying to write device models for
QEMU? I know that the "hw" subdirectory is full of examples, but I'd prefere
something more "formal", with info which solutions are optimal, which are
deprecated...
Thank you very much in advance,
Wojciech Zabolotny