qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for April 05

From: Brad Hards
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for April 05
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:01:02 +1000

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 05:59:27 am Anthony Liguori wrote:
> - Trivial patch monkeys^Wteam -- this is an idea Stefan and I have been
> kicking around to help some of the trivial patches get more attention on
> the mailing list
I saw a wiki page (http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/TrivialPatches) that I
assumed was historical - bad assumption given the page history of course.

As an outsider / new contributor, it isn't easy to see how to get patches
noticed, and how different things should feed into the tree(s). For instance,
is my patch being ignored because I forgot the Signed-off-by line, or is the
maintainer away for a month? Or am I just not "in the club"?

It isn't even easy to figure out what trees there are (apart from the main one)
and a google search for "qemu git" produces some misleading links to savannah
and places other than git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git. It would also be useful if
http://git.qemu.org/git/qemu.git/ and http://git.qemu.org/qemu.git worked
again. Perhaps a list of main trees on the wiki or in MAINTAINERS might help?
Even a list of obsolete trees might be useful.

It would probably also help if there was a little more documentation on the
process bits (e.g. whether I need a public git tree, or mailing patches is
always preferred, and maybe some links to better-practice git setups to ensure
patches make it through OK) and about what is expected in terms of code
quality and resubmission. It would also help to have some explanatory text for
some of the architectural docs that are available (e.g. there is a lot of
words on the wiki about QED, and I guess its some kind of storage / disk
thing, but I have no idea why its important, or even if I should know about
it).

I've tried to expand
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/GettingStartedDevelopers to cover my
personal "a-ha" moments, but if I knew enough to write it all, then I'd
probably be more interested in getting code written too...

I'm sorry I have more complaints than useful suggestions here. I can only say
I'll hang around (mail / IRC) as long as I feel somewhat welcome and write up
any insights you can offer.

Brad