qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Problem in setting breakpoints at kernel code using "qemu a

From: Amirali Shambayati
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Problem in setting breakpoints at kernel code using "qemu and gdb"
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:46:32 +0430

Dear all,
I want to use combination of qemu and gdb to debug my modified linux
kernel code. First I tried this
link:http://issaris.blogspot.com/2007/12/download-linux-kernel-sourcecode-from.html
to configure eclipse CDT and qemu to achieve my goal.

According to the tutorial, I tried following command to run qemu:
sudo qemu -s -S -hda linux-0.2.img -append "root=/dev/sda" -kernel
/mnt/build/linux-2.6/arch/x86/boot/bzImage

As I used my modified kernel code, I encountered with kernel oops; So
I tried to find the related code line which causes problem, using
breakpoints.
Now my problem is, when I set breakpoints before start debugging in
eclipse, it seems that it ignores breakpoints and kernel goes to oops
condition again.

Also I tried combination of gdb and qemu using following commands:
#gdb
(gdb) symbol-file vmlinux.o
(gdb) target remote localhost:1234
(gdb) break scsi_lib.c 1420
(gdb) c

I tried above commands to check if stops at breakpoint or not. I put a
printk after breakpoint line. It printed it and it means that it has
ignored breakpoint.
Would you guide me what is wrong with what I have done?

It's related to my thesis project, and I need to pass this step as
soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
--
Amirali Shambayati