qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] adding search to dhcp

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] adding search to dhcp
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:08:19 +0100

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Carl Karsten <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Comma escaping is needed but it seems like a reasonable feature to me.
>>
>> Comma escaping is ugly:
>> -net user,hostname=qemu,search=example.com,,sales.example.com
>>
>> Could we have multiple search options instead?  Like this:
>> -net user,hostname=qemu,search=example.com,search=sales.example.com
>>

> How about:
>
> -net user,hostname=qemu,search="example.com,sales.example.com"

That does not work the way you'd expect:
$ echo asdf=asdf,ok="this,is,a,test"
asdf=asdf,ok=this,is,a,test

Also, let's not get into the business of matching quotes and passing
them escaped on the shell.  That's just as ugly as escaping commas and
more work.

I think the two options are using QEMU's typical comma escaping ',,'
or specifying the option multiple times.  I'd go with comma escaping
for consistency.  I'm not aware of any other option in QEMU that is
specified multiple times.

Stefan