qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [0/25] Async threading for VirtFS using glib threads &

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [0/25] Async threading for VirtFS using glib threads & coroutines.
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 07:33:24 +0100

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Venkateswararao Jujjuri
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/13/2011 05:18 PM, Venkateswararao Jujjuri wrote:
>>
>> On 05/13/2011 12:26 PM, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:

>>> Do we really need bottom halfs here ? can't we achieve the same with
>>> v9fs_qemu_submit_request() and making the glib thread
>>> function callback (request.func())to do qemu_coroutine_enter()
>>

>> I had the same question. :)  Tested without BH and touch testing worked
>> fine.
>>

>> #define v9fs_co_run_in_worker(block) \
>> { \
>>    g_thread_pool_push(v9fs_pool.pool, qemu_coroutine_self(), NULL); \
>>    qemu_coroutine_yield(); /* re-entered in worker thread */ \
>> \
>>    block; \
>> \
>>    qemu_coroutine_yield(); /* re-entered in QEMU thread */ \
>> }
>
> I guess there is a need for BH. :)
> Without that .. little stress with smp=2 causing
>
> Co-routine re-entered recursively
> Aborted

Right.  It's for synchronization:
1. Yield the coroutine in the QEMU thread.
2. Submit the coroutine to a worker thread.
3. Enter the coroutine in the worker thread.

But it's not safe to swap steps 1 and 2.  Otherwise the worker thread
could enter the coroutine before step 2 while it is still running.

Stefan