qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:17:32 +0100

On 18 May 2011 16:11, Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2011-05-18 16:36, Avi Kivity wrote:
>> There is nothing we can do with a return code.  You can't fail an mmio
>> that causes overlapping physical memory map.
>
> We must fail such requests to make progress with the API. That may
> happen either on caller side or in cpu_register_memory_region itself
> (hwerror). Otherwise the new API will just be a shiny new facade for on
> old and still fragile building.

If we don't allow overlapping regions, then how do you implement
things like "on startup board maps ROM into lower addresses
over top of devices, but later it is unmapped and you can see
the underlying devices" ? (You can't currently do this AFAIK,
and it would be nice if the new API supported it.)

-- PMM